Thursday, August 07, 2014

Oh how she grows

I love my glorious garden. I haven't been there in days because I have had no wheels. (Red Deer has a dysfunctional transit system. Today I caved and picked up a rental.) So it was straight to my garden ...
All my greens are growing amazingly. I am so happy that I decided to get a plot this year. It's so funny how I used to take growing my own vegetables and fruit for granted when I was younger.


My carrots have really shot up in the last week. I am going to wait a few more weeks before I harvest them. I pulled a few of my larger beets. I am going to let them to grow bigger but I will pick the leaves for my smoothies or soups. I have too much green Swiss chard. I've been trying to give it away but no one in my office is a fan of the green.


After my trip to the garden, I whipped up a fabulous green salad. I steamed my beets for tonight's dinner. Sometimes I wish I had the luxury of working at home. I am off today because I work this weekend. Feels a little weird because I just came back after five days away from the office.


I capped off the day with an easy run at Riverbend. I managed 10K before the thunder and lightning rolled in. It was a little scary because the lightning felt so close. I kept thinking about that runner who was hit by lightning during the Hard Rock Ultra a few weeks ago. I didn't have a headlamp to protect me so I ran really, really fast when it started. I didn't outrun the ran or the hail but I sure beat the lightning!


2 comments:

  1. That would be so scary to run in the thunder and lightning! I don't think that's ever happened to me before. I am wondering how you keep little critters and bugs from eating your veggies???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would come raid your garden if you had any peas! They are my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete